Sunday, January 3, 2016

Dinghy Hole Update


The dinghy is worth chatting about.  Evidently, during our dinghy sortie last week, as the dinghy got bounced around, a conch shell got wedged between the bottom and the starboard inflatable tube.  As durable as the Hypalon material is, it is the conch that won out.   

The fix was not bad.  Reading the directions was a bit of a pain, as they were translated from Korean to English by a non-native English speaking person.  Smear a little bit of hypalon repair glue on a 3 inch diameter patch and hold in place over the hole for 10 hours.  OK.  I did about 15 minutes and that seem to do the job, along with an over nighter for the final cure.  Pumped up the dingy the following day and all is well.  Lesson learned…if you go after conch, make sure you have a bucket to put it in.

Speaking of conch, getting it and cleaning it are also on my honey-do list. I added it when Peggy was not looking.  Talk to the local folks and they wave their hand in the general direction of a sand flat saying they, meaning conch, are all over the place.  I’m not sure which sand flat they are pointing to, but there is only one, and 3 hours of snorkeling later, conch are not all over the place.   By the way, the dinghy works much better without a hole in it.

Ray off Sanity came over when I returned to look at my haul of conch.  After getting over the embarrassment of having an empty bucket, he said come with me tomorrow and I will show you how it is done.  I couldn’t do worse, so was looking forward to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment